Monday 1 June 2015

100 Weekdays of Daily Challenge Challenge



Today marks 100 weekdays in a row of Daily Challenge Challenges (and another 60 videos prior to this streak), it has persisted through travel, family visits and even now a full time job. It is something I deliberately make time for each day, even now it has a sporadic schedule and the live audience is significantly reduced. I am proud of it mostly because of the persistence involved, even if the ultimately my initial goal of besting my friends reliably at Crypt of the NecroDancer has been an utter failure.

Turns out 5 games a week simply is not enough to get me to significantly improve at a game, ultimately that is 5-10 minutes a day and I don't really have the urge to play more often that that and as a result I still mostly die in zone 1 and only occasionally reach zone 2.

I also don't anticipate getting better at OlliOlli, the daily grind is fun and interesting, and it has only a very small community playing it such that I have actually made the number 1 slot a number of times. This is less impressive than even that sounds as the extreme score fall off in that game leads to my victories being more pulling a Bradbury over pure skill, timing and reflexes.

Finally Spelunky I think demonstrates most clearly of all that it takes more than the daily challenge to improve your skills. Spelunky has become my go to game for spending a little bit of time, meaning I have sunk a fair amount of time off stream into Spelunky as well and I have improved by leaps and bounds. When I started I avoided irritating shopkeepers and had never seen the end of the ice caves, now I have beaten the game 3 times, including one speed run and am pushing my way towards hell. It always feels like the high point of my stream, my chance to really push on and make progress. The kind of feeling I only get rarely when I play NecroDancer

To celebrate reaching a streak count of 100 I am running a giveaway. The winner will get their choice of:
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer
  • OlliOlli
  • Spelunky
  • Massive Chalice
To enter, either comment here or on video 100 congratulating me before my next stream (which will probably start sometime between 5 or 6pm)

No comments:

Post a Comment