Saturday 10 January 2015

My Year In Review (2014)

Ideally this kind of a post would go up on either New Years Day or my birthday (I am officially older now), but this trip home for Christmas has really soaked up free time.

I have:
- Moved to a country half way across the world from home
- Visited 5 countries (Not including Australia or Sweden)
- Begun learning Swedish (and making good progress from what I can tell)
- Produced and published 103 videos on YouTube, gathering roughly 1600 views
- Written 53 blog posts
- Finished 41 games
- Started going grey

It has been pretty interesting dealing with life in a new country and new culture. Even trying to establish a new group of friends is surprisingly difficult. In Sydney my social circles grew fairly organically from school and university, but in Lund I have to start from the beginning.

I don't have the existing social support that will occasionally introduce me to new people, I don't have the same kind of external forces like school and university that would have me interact regularly with people of a similar age group and interests to me.

One of the things I would like to do this year is to spend more time on hobbies that will help me do that, maybe look into participating in Friday Night Magic at a local game store or something.

I also should probably take advantage of SFI, given it also brings me into contact with a class of people in largely similar situations to me.

Overall I am pretty hopeful going into this year, I have a few opportunities I am actively working on, I have a hobby that is keeping me engaged and a life that is delivering me new experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment